LDMA - Loud Mine, Ga., Site
Loud Mine is the
Lost Dutchman's Mining Association's, LDMA, Georgia site and is situated
about 5 miles west of Cleveland, in the heart of the Georgia Gold belt. Loud
Mine is one of the sites of a yearly GPAA outing. the Outing is usually held
in the spring or fall. Check the main Gold
Prospectors Association of America website for dates, associated costs,
and further details on the LDMA.
Plenty of areas for camping and RV's. With a clubhouse and bathhouse on site
one doesn't rough it here.
Loud Mine's welcome sign
Working some paydirt in the creek.
Loud Mine is one of the few places one can find a bit of wire gold, fines, and small
nuggets. Once in a while an Indian artifact might be found such as a bit of
broken pottery or an arrowhead.
When visiting do not hesitate to head over to Dahlonega and visit the
Gold Museum there. Dahlonega was one of the sites for the
U.S. Mint from 1838 - 1861. Gold Coins from this mint will carry
the "D" mint mark.
A bit of history of the area from the 1896 book;
"A Preliminary Report on a Part of the
Gold Deposits of Georgia" By William Smith Yeates, Samuel Washington McCallie, Francis Plaisted
The Loud Mine, White County, GA. - The Loud Mine includes
lots 39, 40, and 41, 1st District, White County. They lie in a North and South
Range, Lot 39, being at the North; and each is said to contain 250 acres. It
may be located generally as fourteen miles northeast of Dahlonega, or five miles
west of Cleveland, the county-seat of White.
The geological formation is mica-schist and gneiss, with transitions onto, or dikes
of hornblende-gniess. These strike usually about 45 degrees east, dipping
from 30 degrees to 60 degrees to the southwest, rarely vertical or inclines to the
northwest. The country is of an undulating character, hills seldom rising
above the intervening valleys.
The auriferous material of this property may be classified as placers, saprolite
and quartz veins. The placer area is quite extensive. They are characterized,
by a maximum twenty foot “topping”, and from one to four feet of gravel. Coarse
Gold and nuggets(1) prevail in the gravel. The Gravel rests on the slate or
bedrock. The material above the gravel, or the “topping” composed, at it is,
of the material washing from the hills, contains, in some places, quite a little
gold, while at others, it is barren.
The hills have saprolite to some depth. This rotten rock, or saprolite, is
the thoroughly decomposed and untransported mica-schists ans gniess. Such
decomposition may extend to some depth as probably does on this property. Permeating
this saproiite, are bands or stingers of quartz, conforming to the trend of the
mica-shcists and gniesses, which are most frequently auriferous. The Hydraulicking
of the hills rich in such quartz , on account of the easy concentration of the gold
by amalgamation in sluices, is found exceedingly profitable, at several of the mines
in this county, notably the Hamby Mountain and St. George, in the Nacoochee district.
Several quartz veins have been located but not tested. These all conform,
in strike and dip, to the county-rock. The only-vein, which has been worked
in the loud mine, runs diagonally through lot 39. This is the vein from witch the
magnificent specimens of crystallized and wire gold, exhibited in this country and
abroad, were taken. It was accidently discovered by Mr. Courtney of Cleveland,
GA., while scrapping the underlying slate of placer. At the point of discovery
(the northeast corner of lot 39), a shaft was sank immeadiatly; and for the first
ten feet, the richness of the quartz in free gold is said to be astounding. The
vein, a ribbon at the start, and a little over an inch in width, during it’s rich
decent of ten feet, increased to a maximum width of two feet, and varied, back and
forth, in thickness, to the depth of the shaft. At a depth of sixty feet,
work was stopped, on account of their inability to cope with the water. From
the depth of ten feet to the base of the shaft, gold was almost totally absent.
A definite lateral tracing of this vein has never been undertaken. An
out cropping of a quartz vein, however, two feet in width, occurs several thousand
feet south west of the shaft, and may be traced back roughly to the shaft. Whether
there are two distinct veins along this lead, or they are one and the same, cannot
be conclusively asserted.
A small branch runs through the bottom, in which this vein is located. Good
drainage will be necessary, before work, even in the placer, can be carried on.
Although, at the shaft, the level is sixty feet above that of the Tessantee
River, which flows along the eastern side of these lots, the topography is such
that artificial drainage will be required. This may be accomplished, by running
a drain to the Tessantee River(2), or, what would be more advantageous in several
respects, by the use of hydraulic elevators. The placer itself is worthy of
this outlay, and the vein certainly should not be ignored on account of it’s sudden
barrenness. Gold veins are rarely uniformly rich; but, on the other hand,
they hold the gold in pockets, shoots, or chimneys. Tapping a vein at only
one point, by a small shaft without levels, cannot be considered a fair test. It
may be possible, but it should not be considered probable, that a gold vein, which
undoubtedly has been so material, in making the surrounding placer (worked of only
about an acre) rich in nuggets and coarse gold has yielded, already, all its wealth.
Only a few years ago seven pounds of gold was removed from one spot, close to the
shaft. It is in the neighborhood of the shaft, also, that many of the large
nuggets, which have marked this property, have been found. While some of the
gold obtained here, is smooth and water-worn, many of the specimens are very rough.
Very little prospecting for the location of veins has been undertaken. In
fact, work on this property has been confined almost entirely to the placers, and
these have been worked in the most primitive way. A ditch, twenty-one miles
long, supplies the mines with water for hydraulicking and washing.
As well as can be determined, the placers alone offer legitimate fields for fair
profits; and equal if not richer returns, may be expected from the saprolite areas
The property, so long and favorably known as the loud mine, is owned by Mr. Rufus
K Reaves or Athens, Ga."
(1 - A nugget from this deposit, weighing 83 dwts., was exhibited by the Geological
Survey of Georgia at the Cotton States and International Exposition, Atlanta, Sept.
to Dec 31st 1895 inconclusive. One weighing
320 dwts., was found in August 1894, at the same place with a number of smaller
(2 - Such a drain has already been surveyed. )